Friday, November 8, 2013

Windy's Belgium Days

We had a few days in between trips and Mike had to go to the states, so we had to stay in Belgium and explore.  First up was Grand Place....always a nice place to go!

Dandoy has the best speculoos cookies...yummy!

And we had to have a waffle too!  E loves them!

Manny was dressed all spiffy on this particular day

 St Catherine

Yummy Flemish stew!

Grand Place


Of course I had to have Narttaya come and cook her amazing Thai food for us!


Atomium...it's such a cool Brussels landmark.  Windy went to the top but I told her going through all the spheres is pretty boring, so to skip that.  While up at the top she spotted a Japanese
 pagoda....so, it was off driving around town trying to find it!


We kept driving by but could never find where to park.  It was a pain.  It was a long distance to come back around to the area.  We tried several times and only got this drive by pic of the Chinese Pavilion.  The Japanese Pagoda is really tall but was behind trees.

We saw this church on our drive around back to the pagoda.  Church of Our Lady...the crypts inside are of the Royal Family.  Windy, we should have went in!!


Then it was volleyball time!  Windy got to see Pres play a few games.





When in Belgium, why not go to the spa in Spa, Belgium??!?!  We did!
It's only about an hour and a half away.  Since living here, I have not been to a spa at all...not even to get my nails done.  Ok, I did have the fish pedicure but that really wasn't a spa, and no toes were painted.  It was a pretty drive there and probably the best facial I have ever had!  It was definitely a different way of going to the spa, but it was still relaxing and nice.  When the masseuse came out with his long rubber apron on, I was glad we weren't getting massages!  He looked like he was getting ready to do some damage to the 70 year old men that were waiting for him.

We decided to try out the spa waters.  It was chilly outside but we thought the water would be warm...it wasn't, so we got out quickly.  Just in time to catch some full on nakedness!  Two (large) women were approaching us.  They both had robes on and one of them was carrying a bathing suit.  I thought...oh no.  So, right in front of everyone (and Windy and I were just a few feet away) the other lady takes her robe off and bends over to strip her suit off!  Living over here has really numbed me to people being naked (well, women..men still scare me off:)), but why strip in front of everyone when there is a bathroom!? !?  And why even bring a swimsuit??  Why do you have to strip in front of everyone and show EVERYTHING to all?!  It's hard to look away..like watching a train wreck, but I did and walked away quickly.  It was a very large moon we saw that day!!

Inside of the spa...it was large and pretty.


That night I got a sitter and Windy and I went to the Chatelain Market.  All the little communes have their own market, most being during the day.  This one is in the evening and it has great food.  People walk around and eat and taste the wine.  It's fun.  My friend Allison lives down by the market and they met us after for a fun night out.







GHENT
We had another open day and couldn't decide exactly where to go.  I'm really glad my friend Shirley recommended Ghent.  I had been there before with Brittiney, but it was Christmas time and very cold.  This day was sunny and warm.  A great day to go!  The sites, shopping, and canal were perfect!

St Nicholas Church

Belfrey

Missy happy to be out of the stroller
Candy Store



They even have a castle outside the city halls.  Castle of the Counts (Gravensteen).  It was built in 1180 to intimidate the citizens that were thinking about becoming independent-minded.



Having a snack along the canal.





We even saw a parrot at lunchtime :)

Soon to come...our trip to the Mosel Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment