Well, this has been one of those weeks. An "I hate Belgium" week that is.
Had to get Emerson's passport and like everything else...it's a process. You have to do it at the US embassy and they only do it on Mondays, in the afternoons. We had to get a ton of paperwork..or Mike did. I just took her pics which weren't good enough, so I have to now redo them and send them in. Adding to that, we are going to Barcelona, Spain in four weeks and need her passport ASAP!! Anyways, Mike had to get her birth certificate (and have it translated into English), our marriage cert, and more. Then they ask for proof that we lived in the US (guess our passports weren't enough??...geez), so he happened to have his college transcripts and a pay stub. We were there for 2 hours!! And out of that time, we only talked to 3 people for a total of 10 minutes....seriously annoying.
Wednesday had to take Emerson and Drake to the doc. E for her checkup and Drake has been sick on/off for two weeks...we all have. We have been more sick here in the last 6 months, then we have the last 3 years in the states. I guess we have to get immune to these germs over here. Also, people don't care to wear gloves when handling food or wash their hands that much.
Our pediatrician works in a building (shed?) beside her house. A lot of docs here work from their homes rather than offices. They don't have nurses or secretaries..nothing like that. Some are in office buildings (my OB was) if they work in the city, but in the small towns around, most are in their homes. So, it's a little freaky going for the first time. Debbie & Tommy went to E's last appt, and I'm sure they thought it was strange. But this doc was recommended to me by a friend and also the ped. who saw E in the hospital. I loved him but didn't want to fight parking and traffic to go to him, but I may change my mind. I'm really trying to like this doc because she is right beside my house, and she really cares about the kids. She said Drake had an ear infection and something else that I couldn't understand... Even though the docs here mostly can speak English, things still get lost in translation and it can be frustrating. She prescribed him some meds, of course I couldn't read them (but love my pharmacy, they always write down on each med what to do) and there isn't an English name for them. It took a few minutes for me to get that she was asking if I had any med for his fever...she wasn't saying tylenol! Haha
She decided that Emerson just didn't gain enough weight this month and wants me to change how many times I'm feeding her. She says every 4 hours instead of whenever she wants, which is how I usually do it, and maybe she will eat for longer. She gained over a pound, so I thought it was fine. She looks big and plump to me for a 2 mth old. They are just very cautious here I guess. The doc said everything else is perfect...she just doesn't know. She said "I know the baby will cry but just try not to feed her, you will hate me in a few days"... Well, we will see how good my patience will be...I do have four kids!
My appt was at 5:30, so I didn't leave there until about 6:45. Tried to go to the pharmacy by my house but of course there was no parking anywhere and it was pouring outside. So, frustrated and mad, I just drove home. I wasn't going to attempt to park far away, in the dark, with all 4 kids...just not worth it. Sometimes, well a lot of times, the parking situation here can infuriate me!
Just been one of those weeks...
On the bright side, I have our trips to Spain, London, and Italy booked. But I am MOST excited about getting to come to the states in July! Can not wait!
Barcelona is Beautiful! We were there in 1999. The Ramblas has the little shopping kiosks and street performers etc... We went to the Santa Esglesia Cathedral of Barcelona.. very pretty and had a little interior courtyard which I had never seen before (granted this was my first and last european cathedral!) They had a nice aquarium by the sea, and the beach was pretty nice from what I remember (although we were there in February so we didn't get to enjoy that too much)!
ReplyDeleteWe are excited about going..hoping for some yummy food! Sounds like you had a great time!
DeleteHey there Lu! What a rough time you've had! Of course you have the right to vent. It sounds very frusterating at times. Looking forward to seeing you this summer! -Carolyn
ReplyDeleteIt's def rough at times, but so is life in general I guess. Can't wait to see you too!
DeleteWe can't wait for you guys to come home in July either. When u guys will be here the time will go by way to fast I am sure. Emerson will be big by the time we get to meet her.
ReplyDeleteI know..it's gonna go by so fast. I hope I can enjoy each day...which I'm sure I will. Get ready to go out a lot!!!
DeleteTurn that frown upside down Lu! You do deserve to gripe...a lot! But, in a few years you can look back and laugh about all of this...I hope! Can't wait to see you in July!
ReplyDeleteI already laugh about it!! Can't wait to see you and that baby!!
DeleteI understand you complaining a little, I would be gripping a lot. lol I can't imagine being in a place where few speak English and where the food is so different. lol You know how picky we are. I can't wait to visit but I'm not sure about living there. I admire you for going over there with three kids and one on the way. You have done great and will have some many memories from these days to tell when the kids get older.
ReplyDeleteWe will have some great memories...already do. I'm trying to enjoy our time here, but sometimes it can be hard. Can't wait until you can visit!!
Delete