Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Kissing the Blarney Stone

Another sunny day in Ireland (we felt very lucky!) and a trip to Blarney Castle.  We reluctantly had to leave our B&B in Dingle, but were excited about kissing the Blarney stone.  Every time we went to a castle before this, Drake would ask if the Blarney stone was there.  He seemed pretty excited about it too.


The girls

The boys

So, the castle was pretty tall and I really didn't realize that the stone was at the very top! We had to climb these windy, and not very smooth, stairs to go up.  It was almost like climbing a spiral ladder, that's how narrow and twisty they were.  This was not an easy task to do holding Emerson, so I was already dreading going down the stairs.  I never really thought heights scared me, but when I was on the roof of the castle I started to get a little flustered.  And having the kids up there even makes me more nervous.

So, I was first up and when I saw that it was opened under the stone, I was almost in panic mode.  You have to lay across this guys lap and lean backwards.  See how high up we are??  I guess I should be glad that they now have the safety bars there and don't have to hold me by my ankles, like they did in the past.  I knew I had to do it, so I did and got it over with.  I won't post the pic that Mike took of me leaning up after because it's horrible, but it really does express how I felt!

Gran giving the stone a big kiss!  And no, the whole area is not the "stone".... it's of course the part at the very bottom!

Daddy next....and no, they do not clean it after each person...yuck!

Preslee
She wasn't scared at all....  Actually, I was the only one a bit freaked out!

Even Kade got to give it a smooch!  I would not let Drake do it...he was scared anyways, but he would have fit through those bars!!


Roaming around on top...which freaked me out too.  I do not like my kids being high up on something...just scares me!

View from the ground...which I felt better about being on.  I made Mike carry Emerson down the stairs but they happened to not be as bad.  Drake was really scared going down, so I had to coax him to the bottom.

After our kissing adventure, we decided to walk the mysterious and ancient gardens that were around the castle.  They were pretty and had fun things for the kids to see and do.




Drake going through the willow tunnel
The Dolman....a mysterious tomb that still sometimes rocks.  No one knows if the stone was rolled or lifted to be in this position......


The wishing steps...They say there is a Blarney witch (the one who was saved from drowning and then revealed the power of the stone) that steals firewood from the estate, so in return she must grant visitors a wish.  You have to walk up and back down the stairs, with your eyes closed, and think of nothing but your wish.  Kade was the only one brave enough to do it.  I never asked him if his wish came true :)

The witch's kitchen...supposedly, in the mornings, you can still see the burning embers that she leaves behind after her nightly escape from the witch's stone.....


Finally seeing some Easter lilies!!





For kissing the Blarney stone you are bestowed the gift of eloquence....lets hope it worked! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment