CORK
The next few days were spent in Cork. It's a city with not a whole lot to do, so we were just using it as a home base to travel to areas close by. At this point in our trip the weather started to not be so great...rainy and cold. This is what I expected for the whole trip, so I felt lucky that we had had great weather up until then. We only walked around Cork a little. Did some shopping and ate at the best burger joint we have found in Europe! We stayed in an ok hotel here (we have definitely been spoiled by our B&Bs!) and it was noisy! Pipes banging a lot and it wasn't like it was a cheap motel, it was an expensive hotel!! The service is just not the same as the B&Bs.....
 |
| We saw this place in Cork and Preslee got a little offended....:) |
COBH
 |
| Cobh was such a cute little town. It was too bad that the weather was too awful for us to even walk around a bit. Being close to the water didn't help either with all the wind and wetness. |
 |
| My agenda here was to visit the actual place that the Titanic last boarded passengers. It originally departed from Belfast and then arrived in Queenstown shortly after. Cobh was originally called Queenstown until 1920. I was very obsessed with this movie when I was in college and even had the music in my wedding, so I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to visit this town. Today it is where many cruise ships still arrive and the town is almost the exact same as it was when the Titanic departed in 1912. |
 |
| The actual dock is still afloat that the passengers left from. |
 |
| The same White Star Line building still stands as well. The experience was inside the building, where, of course, pics were not allowed (I snuck a few). It was a decent tour, I have been to better in the states but it was only 20 euro for us all, so I didn't complain too much. |
 |
| At the beginning everyone gets a postcard with the name and info of an actual passenger, at the end you get to see if they lived or died. That part was a bit sad. Most of them did not survive because they were all third class passengers :( |
 |
| Checking to see if they survived.... |
 |
| Like I said, the town was so cute and I wish we could have had a better day to explore. |
CASHEL
 |
| The Rock of Cashel is really a site to see. We tried our best to enjoy with the chilly weather, and it's high up which made it even colder. The myth is that the Rock of Cashel (or St. Patrick's Rock or Cashel of the Kings) was originally 20 miles away but when St Patrick banished Satan from the cave, the Rock landed in Cashel. In 1101 the kings of Munster gave the Rock to the church and then it became a major Christan center. The Rock consists of different buildings constructed throughout a few centuries....ok, enough with the boring stuff |
 |
| View of the cathedral..13th century |
 |
| There was a lot of construction going on, so we didn't get to go through all of the Rock. |
Just one more post to go!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment