Friday, February 3, 2012

She has arrived!!

Emerson Matisse made her debut at 4:37 in the morning on January 7!




The Thursday before I went into labor, I had a doc appointment.  I was only about 1 cm dilated then and just figured that I was gonna have another baby that we would have to force to come out.  The doc stripped my membranes, which I had never had done and wandered why none of my docs in the states ever did that since I was always overdue with my other babies.  She said that it could maybe get something started.  I, of course, did not believe her because I never go into labor and always have to be induced.  
So, after my appt, I went to the hospital to visit my friend who had just had her baby 4 weeks early.  She had never gone into labor either and had the baby within 2 hours of arriving at the hospital (same as me).  She had all of her kids here in Belgium and had been very helpful to me with the hospital routines and trying to figure things out that were in French.
I had a normal rest of the day and a normal Friday.  I had been having some hard braxton hicks contractions, so I really didn't pay much attention to them on that day even when they started to get a little rougher.  We were timing them and they were close, but I just wasn't for sure.  Mike eventually decided to go to sleep and told me to wake him if I wanted to go to the hospital (typical man, huh?).  I knew that I was too uncomfortable to sleep and they were close but not getting much more painful.  At about 2am, they got very painful and I knew it was time to go.  Woke Mike up and we told Kristen (I think she was a little shocked!), and off we went.


Now, Mike had never been to the hospital and had no clue where it was, so we had to rely on navigation to get us there.  I had been there a few times, but was obviously not in any condition to navigate us.  We were just lucky that it was early in the morning and not during the day when there is constant traffic!  We arrived at the hospital and I knew we would have to find the emergency entrance to get in because all other doors would be locked at that hour, even the parking garage was closed.  Mike just parked wherever (which can be dangerous in Belgium, we just hoped the car would still be there later and not towed away) and we walked around the hospital until we found this tiny door that said emergency.  The guy at the entrance was not that helpful and I was not in the mood for that, so I'm sure I said a few choice words by the time we got up to the maternity ward.  Finally got to a room and got situated.  The midwife said I was 3 cm, so I figured it would be a long morning, but about an hour later I was 7 then quickly got to 10.  A few minutes later little Emerson was here!  We think maybe she will be a lucky little girl with all her 7s....born Jan 7, 7 lbs 7 oz, at 4:37 am (Mike said it was 4:36 but they wrote 4:37 in her book, so we will go with that), 7th grandchild on the Keown side, 72nd member of the Adkins family, and it's been 7 years since we had a girl on my side of the family!


A lot of people have asked me how it was having a baby over here and I have to say it was a great experience.  Many things were different...some good and some not so good, but all around it was great.  The delivery was quiet and calm with only my doc, midwife, and kinesiologist (and of course Mike) in the room.  In the states things seemed so chaotic all the time and lots of people always in the room.  Having a kinesiologist is something that is different over here.  They are something between a doula and a physical therapist.  I was supposed to see them a few times before delivery, I only went once, and they exercise you and give you a nice massage.  I hated trying to find parking, so I decided once was enough.  But she was so helpful during my delivery and afterward they come to you every day and start you on ab exercises, they don't mess around over here!  I am supposed to also go back after my 6 weeks for more classes, not sure if that will happen though. 
Also, back to the "no gown" policy over here.... I just delivered in whatever I had on, good thing I had a tank top on and not a big sweater!  After the delivery, they got in my suitcase and pulled out my PJs that I brought and put those on me.  Same for the baby, they put on her whatever I brought for her to wear.  Guess they are really saving on the laundry bill over here!  I'm glad they sent me a list to pack beforehand.  It's not like in the states where they give you the list and you never use anything that you pack.  Here you have to bring enough clothes for you and the baby for 4 or 5 days in the hospital...even blankets, bath towels, etc.  So yes, you do stay longer in the hospital here too.  Usually 5 days, but I got to go at 4.  It was nice, a little boring at times but nice not to be pushed out.  The baby always stays with you too.  They never leave your sight after delivery.  There is no baby alarm and no wristbands, you just constantly have them.  They don't bathe the baby after delivery either.  They feel that it is better for their skin if they wait a day or so before a bath.  So she was a little yucky for awhile until I told Mike he just had to wipe her off at least a little.   
The food was another reason not to want to stay too too long though.  It was ok, but the beef carpaccio (raw beef) I got for dinner one night kind of was my limit.  Thank goodness there was an awesome cafe in the hospital, so Mike could bring me food.  That's the thing about living in Belgium, there's always a good cafe close by!
My doc stayed with me until I was in my new room even though she had a few other patients ready to deliver.  She was extremely busy that night.  She sees all her patients and delivers every baby unless she is on vacation.  She comes by every day that you are in the hospital to check on you, I never saw a different doc at all.  I liked that a lot, she must constantly be working!  I loved the pediatrician as well and all the midwives that took care of me were great.  All in all they just really take good care of you over here.  I would have one every once in awhile that could not speak any English, but it all worked out fine.  I did learn a new French word....caca, means poo.  They would always say "baby caca?"  Just thought it was a little funny.
Her name....I have always loved the name Emerson (for a girl) and had it picked when I was pregnant with Drake.  He was obviously a boy, so I just figured I'd never get to use the name since we were supposedly finished having babies....little did I know.  Since she was going to be born in Europe, we wanted her to have a European middle name.  The first day we were in Belgium, we took a walk in our little city center.  I saw a photography studio and it also had some baby announcements in the window.  Matisse was one of the names and I just loved it!  Now, over here it is considered a boy's name so we get 'the look' a lot when we say her name or the doc will say "Oh, I thought she was a boy because of her name."  But we still loved it and thought it was a very cute girl's name!!  I had never even heard the name ever, but of course now I see it all the time.  Preslee came home from school one day and said there was a new boy in her class and his name was Matisse.  She said "I feel so sorry for Emerson having a boy's name."  I just laughed.
Well, I think I touched on about everything....now here are some more pics





I think Kristen was pretty excited that she was able to get to see the baby before she left

Preslee took these pics of Mike giving Emerson her first sponge bath



Going home

1 week old

We are all so happy that she is here!!!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! I'm so glad that I finally got a sis!!! i love her!!!! So cute so small so pretty!!!! Love her outfits!!!!
    Preslee Keown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have your baby sister too Preslee. I love reading your Mom's blogs and keeping up with everything you guys are involved in over there. Emerson is a doll. You take care of her and your brothers while Mommy rests and keep us posted of everything you do in school. We miss you, Kade and Drake and can't wait to meet Emerson. Love you all.
      Renae, Trevor and Shayla

      Delete